Monday, April 1, 2013

Free Tree Identification App for Your Android Phone

Recently I bumped into a pretty good tree identification app for my Android phone. I’m sure there are similar ones for iPhone devices, but since I use an Android phone, it is the only platform to which I can attest.

The application is called Virginia Tech Tree ID, and you can download it to your phone from the market, or you can take a look at it here on your computer.

unnamed unnamed (1) unnamed (2)

The app is free, and it is pretty good. You can do a number of different searches, including using the GPS to find trees in your area, or searching by specific features of the tree. When you install the app, it asks you to download all of the content onto your phone. Once that is done, you can access the information even when you have no connection, which is more often than not the case in the woods.

I haven’t had the app for long, but figured I would give you the heads up. It seems like a useful tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment