Friday, May 22, 2015

Primos Bombshell Turkey Call Review

Now, I usually don’t review hunting products, primarily because I am not good enough at the craft to be able to offer any meaningful perspective, but I’ve been using this product for a bit now, and I think it’s an interesting option so I wanted to bring it to you attention.

IMG_2597

The Primos Bombshell Turkey Call is an interesting concept because it is designed to be used both as a hand held call and a gun mounted call. As a hand held call it can be used by depressing the plunger to make the calls. As a gun mounted call, it can be used by pulling on the string attached to the opposite end of the call.

For me it offered an interesting option because it allows you to call while holding the shotgun with both hands and aiming. The movement required to operate the call when attached to the shotgun is minimal. As such, it eliminates the need for a mouth call. You don’t have to put down your box or slate call, pick up the shotgun, and then transition to the mouth call. You can do it all in one.

The call attaches to the barrel of a shotgun with a Velcro strap.

IMG_2599

IMG_2593

Once attached, you can use one finger of the hand on the forward grip to pull on the string on the back of the call. With it you can do the whole range of calls.

Before using it or buying one, there are two things you should do. The first is to make sure that it fits your shotgun in a way that will allow easy use. It fits perfectly on mine. I don’t have to alter my grip in any way in order to be able to use the call. With some shotguns, that may not be the case however. The second is to tune the call. Mine sounded horrible out of the box. However, by turning one of the green plunger supports when the plunger is depressed, you can tune the pitch of the call until you get the sound you want. While I still prefer the sound I can get out of my box call, this one can get pretty close. I have been equally unsuccessful with either.

The Primos Bombshell is relatively compact and can be locked for transport. It is slightly shorter and wider than a box call. It weighs 3.3 oz on my scale and retails for about $20.

I find that I get much better sound by pulling on the string then by working the plunger. That is fine with me because I always have it attached to the shotgun. For me that is the main benefit of the call. Operating the call while having the shotgun in position really cuts down on movement.

Online reviews of the product have been very mixed. Some people love it, others think it is horrible. I think some of the complaint result from simply not taking the time to learn how to operate the call and tune it properly. Other complaints about build quality are more legitimate. It is indeed made of plastic and attaches with Velcro. It’s in no way a work of art. That being said, there is no real reason why it should fail you if used properly. I haven’t had any issues with it so far. 

That’s all I can say about it. I’ve used it for some time now and get get it to sound almost as good as my box call and can use it without having to put down the shotgun or transition to a mouth call. Since I don’t do that much calling, I can’t tell you much more than that. It’s an interesting option, and it may be worth a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment